WORLD NEWS

World News

Latest news from and about the homeland

Myanmar’s military junta has announced a temporary nationwide ceasefire from 2 to 22 April, in the wake of a devastating 7.7 magnitude earthquake that struck the country last week. The earthquake has so far claimed at least 2,886 lives, with hundreds still missing and entire communities left devastated. The United Nations estimates over 28 million people across six regions have been affected.…

Former Bolivian President to pay damages to families of protestors killed during his tenure

A former Bolivian president and his defence minister have agreed to pay damages to the families of people killed by the military during their government, in a landmark settlement that sets a precedent by which other foreign leaders could face accountability for human rights abuse in US courts.

Thousands of ethnic Armenians flee Nagorno-Karabakh after Azerbaijan seizes control

Thousands of ethnic Armenians fled Nagorno-Karabakh on Monday in lines of cars which stretched for kilometres after Azerbaijan took control of the breakaway region sparking fears of persecution.

The Azerbaijani military routed Armenian forces in a 24-hour blitz last week, forcing the authorities of the breakaway region to agree to lay down weapons. They also agreed to start talks on the “reintegration” of Nagorno-Karabakh, also known as Artsakh, into Azerbaijan, after three decades of separatist rule.

US recognises Cook Islands and Niue

The United States has recognised the Cook Islands and Niue as “sovereign and independent” states and pledged to open diplomatic relations.

In a statement on Monday, Biden said “the history and the future of the Pacific Islands and the United States are inextricably linked”.

'Credible evidence' India linked to assassination of Canadian Sikh

Justin Trudeau has said there is “credible evidence” India is responsible for the alleged assassination of Hardeep Singh Nijjar, a prominent Canadian Sikh leader.

The Canadian prime minister told the House of Commons of Canada on Monday that, in recent weeks, national security authorities had been probing allegations that New Delhi was behind a state-sponsored assassination.

Senior Ugandan officials including President and his son accused of Crimes Against Humanity

Testimonies from over 200 people accusing the Ugandan president, his son, and other senior officials of killings, torture, and other crimes against humanity have been submitted to the International Criminal Court (ICC). 

In total, there are 26 officials that have been accused of aiding the incarceration and systemic abuse of Ugandans who supported opposition leader Bobi Wine in 2021.

Among those accused is President Yoweri Museveni who has been in power for nearly four decades, and his son Gen. Muhoozi Kainerugaba. 

80 Afghan Civilians allegedly killed by SAS

<p>Eighty Afghans may have been victims of summary killings by three separate British SAS units operating in the country between 2010 and 2013, lawyers representing the bereaved families have told a public inquiry.</p> <p>One of the elite soldiers is believed to have “personally killed” 35 Afghans on a single six-month tour of duty as part of an alleged policy to terminate “all fighting-age males” in homes raided, “regardless of the threat they posed”.</p>

Genocide warnings in Darfur as calls for sanctions against the RSF

British MPs have been warned of the possibility of genocide in the Darfur region of Sudan and urged to put pressure on the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) paramilitary group, which has been accused of murder and arson attacks on minority groups in the area.

Sudan ceasefire breaks down as fighting escalates

Fighting has intensified in several areas of Khartoum after a ceasefire deal between Sudan's army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) expired on Saturday. 

Brokered by Saudi Arabia and the United States, the temporary truce calmed the fighting slightly and allowed limited humanitarian access, but like previous ceasefires was repeatedly violated. Talks to extend it broke down on Friday.

Former Rwanda police officer on trial in France over genocide

Former Rwandan military police officer who fled to France after the 1994 genocide and started a new life under a false identity is going on trial in Paris charged with crimes against humanity.

Philippe Hategekimana, 66, fled to France five years after the genocide, under a fake name, Philippe Manier.

He worked as a security guard at a university in the western city of Rennes and gained French citizenship in 2005.

Clashes in Pakistan following arrest of Imran Khan

Protests are ongoing nationwide, and at least one person has been killed, following the arrest of Imran Khan.

Mr Khan was arrested by security forces at the High Court in the capital, Islamabad.

Dramatic footage showed dozens of officers arriving and detaining the 70-year-old, who was bundled into a vehicle and driven away.

He was appearing in court on charges of corruption, which he says are politically motivated.