WORLD NEWS

World News

Latest news from and about the homeland

Myanmar’s military junta has announced a temporary nationwide ceasefire from 2 to 22 April, in the wake of a devastating 7.7 magnitude earthquake that struck the country last week. The earthquake has so far claimed at least 2,886 lives, with hundreds still missing and entire communities left devastated. The United Nations estimates over 28 million people across six regions have been affected.…

China brokers ceasefire between rebel alliance and Myanmar military

 

China has brokered a "formal ceasefire" between a rebel guerrilla alliance and Myanmar's military.

Myanmar's military took power in a coup in February 2021. The military regime, the State Administration Council, has been under pressure due to attacks from the "Three Brotherhood Alliance".

The "Three Brotherhood Alliance" consisting of ethnic rebel groups has claimed they have taken over dozens of towns, including border crossings crucial for trade with China. 

China says it will "crush" Taiwanese independence efforts before vote

The Chinese military has stated that it will "crush" any efforts to promote Taiwan's independence.

On Friday, hundreds and thousands of people attended pre-election rallies in Taiwan in preparation for Saturday's critical presidential and parliamentary polls.

Chinese Defence Ministry spokesperson, Zhang Xiaogang, stated, "The Chinese People's Liberation Army maintains high vigilance at all times and will take all necessary measures to firmly crush 'Taiwan independence' attempts of all forms."

Experts accuse UK of hypocrisy for not backing claim of genocide in Gaza before ICJ

The UK government is facing accusations of hypocrisy for not supporting South Africa's case accusing Israel of committing genocide against Palestinians in Gaza. 

Six weeks earlier, the UK submitted legal arguments to the International Court of Justice (ICJ) in The Hague supporting claims that Myanmar committed genocide against the Rohingya ethnic group. 

In its submission on Myanmar, the UK argues that the threshold for determining genocide is lower if it is the case that damage has been inflicted on children as opposed to adults. 

Fire rages through Rohingya refugee camp leaving thousands homeless

 7,000 displaced Rohingya Muslim refugees have been made homeless yet again after a fire tore through their camp in southeastern Bangladesh, according to the UN refugee agency.

 Fire swept through a Rohingya refugee camp in southeastern Bangladesh in the early hours of Sunday, destroying about 800 shelters and rendering thousands homeless, officials said.

Lebanon files complaint to UN Security Council against Israel

Tensions between Israel and neighbouring state Lebanon have escalated since the senior Hamas official Saleh al-Arouri was killed in a targeted assassination in Beirut, Lebanon on 2 January 2024. Hezbollah, Hamas' Lebanese ally and a Shia Islamist political and militant group, claim that Israel is responsible for the attacks while Isreal has denied the allegation. Following the killing, Lebanon has filed a complaint to the UN Security Council describing the incident as the “most dangerous phase” of Israel’s attacks on Lebanon.

World Court to hold rare genocide hearing against Israel on 11 January 2024

The International Court of Justice (ICJ) , also known as the 'World Court', will hold a hearing concerning the 84-page international law suit that South Africa lodged against Isreal, accusing Isreal of committing genocide against the Palestinians in Gaza in violation of the 1948 Genocide Convention. The complaint was filed before the ICJ on 29 December 2023. The State of Isreal was quick to deny the allegations within South Africa’s complaint as “baseless” and announced on 2 January 2024 that it will challenge the allegations of genocide before the ICJ in The Hague. The ICJ hearing is scheduled for 11 and 12 January 2024. 

No reconciliation' with paramilitary RSF, says Sudanese army chief al-Burhan

Sudan's army chief, Abel Fattah al-Burhan, has rejected the latest calls for a ceasefire stating that the nine-month war between the military and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) paramilitary will continue. 

RSF head, Mohammed Hamdan "Hemedti" Dagalo, agreed earlier in the week to a ceasefire under the condition that the military must cooperate. However, this was met with skepticism as the RSF has previously failed to fulfill its promises. 

Taiwan president states the island's future must be decided by its people

Taiwanese President, Tsai Ing-wen, emphasized that Taiwan's relationship with China must be determined by the will of the people and peace must be based on "dignity." These comments come in response to China's leader, Xi Jinping stating that "reunification" with the island is inevitable. 

Xi Jinping's comments depict a shift in tone from the previous year wherein he stated that people on either side of the Taiwan Strait are "members of one and the same family."

Outcry as Mexico reduces number of disappeared

Activists say the review of 113,000 missing people in Mexico is a ploy to reduce the number ahead of the presidential election

The government has now announced it was able to confirm just 12,377 of the more than 113,000 cases of disappeared people.

Former Rwandan Doctor sentenced to 24 years over genocide by French court

Former Rwandan doctor Sosthene Munyemana was on Wednesday jailed for 24 years by a French court for his involvement in the 1994 genocide of Tutsis.

The 68-year-old former gynaecologist was found guilty of genocide, crimes against humanity and participation in a conspiracy to prepare these crimes.