WORLD NEWS

World News

Latest news from and about the homeland

Myanmar’s military junta has announced a temporary nationwide ceasefire from 2 to 22 April, in the wake of a devastating 7.7 magnitude earthquake that struck the country last week. The earthquake has so far claimed at least 2,886 lives, with hundreds still missing and entire communities left devastated. The United Nations estimates over 28 million people across six regions have been affected.…

ICC demands Malawi explains failure to arrest Bashir

The International Criminal Court (ICC) has demanded Malawi explain why it did not arrest Sudanese president, Omar al-Bashir, during his recent visit to the country, warning that it is considering referring the matter to the UN Security Council.

The ICC reports that Malawi, an ICC member state, was reminded of its obligation to arrest Bashir on 13th October, however is yet to repond.

The ICC issued an arrest warrant on Bashir in 2008, for charges of war crimes and genocide in Darfur. He is believed to be responsible for over 300,000 deaths since 2003.

Sarkozy reiterates pledge for Armenian genocide recognition

In a letter to Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan, French President Nicolas Sarkozy restated France’s strong commitment to ensure that the killings of over 1.5 million Armenians in 1915 by Turkey will be recognised as Genocide.

The letter, released from the President’s press office, comes after Sarkozy visited Armenia and warned that unless Turkey did so, then he would “have to go further”.

Clinton visits new Libyan leaders, pledges $135 million

United States have pledged $135 million to Libya's new leaders and former rebels in the National Transitional Council, for humanitarian aid and military equipment. Weaponry has already been provided by other countries, including France and Qatar.

The pledge was announced by the US Secretary of State, Hiliary Clinton, during her short visit of the country on Tuesday.

Addressing an Islamic conference in Tripoli, Clinton remarked,

Serbs defy NATO deadline

Serbs in northern Kosovo have defied a deadline set by NATO to remove illegal barricades in towns on the border to Serbia.

Hundreds of Serbs gathered to protect the roadblocks from KFOR peacekeeping troops.

"I am disappointed with this outcome," NATO's top commander in Kosovo, Maj. Gen. Erhard Drews, said in a statement. "The north did not comply with the request to remove the roadblocks."

Majority of Britons back Scotland’s independence – poll

A majority of British voters outside Scotland back Scottish independence, a poll published Sunday found.

The ComRes poll for The Independent on Sunday and Sunday Mirror newspapers showed that support for Scotland's independence has risen sharply in recent months.

Ban Ki-Moon calls for end to violence in Syria

UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon has called for the violence in Syria to be stopped immediately.

Speaking to reporters in Bern he said

"There are continuous killings of civilian people. These killings must stop immediately. I told Assad: 'Stop before it is too late.'

It is unacceptable that 3,000 people have been killed. The UN is urging him again to take urgent action."

Britain criticises Malawi over Bashir

UK Minister for Africa, Henry Bellingham, expressed 'disappointment' at Malawi's refusal to arrest Sudanese president Omar al-Bashir, who arrived in the country on Monday.

In a statement, Bellingham said,

“I am disappointed that Malawi hosted President Bashir of Sudan today [14th October] in defiance of International Criminal Court arrest warrants for war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide.

The British government expects the Government of Malawi to stand by its obligations under the Rome Statute, and as a UN member state.

UN urge Malawi to arrest Bashir

The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Navi Pillay, urged Malawi to arrest the Sudanese president, Omar al-Bashir, who is wanted for war crimes and genocide charges by the International Criminal Court (ICC).

Speaking at a lecture in Johannesburg, Pillay said,

"I call on governments and remind them of their legal obligations, and I am disappointed when they do not keep up their obligations."

An arrest warrant was issued for Bashir, by the ICC, in 2008.

Britain joins EU and UN in condemning Israeli settlement plans

British Foreign Secretary William Hague has criticised Israel’s plans to expand its settlement in East Jerusalem, just days after both the European Union and United Nations condemned the move.

In a statement released Sunday, Hague said he was “dismayed” by Israel’s announcement to build 2,600 new homes in the settlement of Givat Hamatos and to legalise housing in West Bank outposts.

Arab League decides against Syria suspension

Syria has escaped suspension from the Arab League at an emergency meeting convened to discuss the crisis at its headquarters in Cairo.

Qatari Prime Minister Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim al-Thani said that the League had decided to work towards national dialogue between the opposing sides.

The dialogue, if accepted by both sides, would be held under the auspices of the Arab League and based on the 7-point plan proposed at a League meeting last month.