WORLD NEWS

World News

Latest news from and about the homeland

Myanmar’s military junta has announced a temporary nationwide ceasefire from 2 to 22 April, in the wake of a devastating 7.7 magnitude earthquake that struck the country last week. The earthquake has so far claimed at least 2,886 lives, with hundreds still missing and entire communities left devastated. The United Nations estimates over 28 million people across six regions have been affected.…

Kurdish group PKK declares ceasefire with Turkey in response to its leader's call

The Kurdish armed group the PKK has declared a ceasefire following calls from its imprisoned leader and founder, Abdullah Öcalan last month.

Mauritian PM urged to demand closure of military base in Diego Garcia

Mauritian politicians have called on the country’s prime minister to demand the closure of the military base in Diego Garcia.

Cambodia tightens grip on those denying Khmer Rouge genocide

Cambodian lawmakers have unanimously approved a new bill that strengthens penalties for denying the atrocities committed under the Khmer Rouge regime. The legislation, passed last month, aims to reinforce the historical record of the genocide and provide justice for its victims. 

Increased fighting forces MSF to stop operations in Zamzam camp in North Darfur

MSF Logo with images of workers and civilians in background
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) has said it is suspending its work in Zamzam camp for displaced people near El Fasher in North Darfur, Sudan due to escalating violence in a statement released on Monday.

In the statement, MSF said that fighting in and around Zamzam camp “is making it impossible for MSF to continue providing medical assistance".

Scottish independence campaigners to take case to UN

Independence campaigners Salvo and its sister organisation Liberation Scotland have paired up with Geneva-based group Justice Pour Tous Internationale (Justice for All International) to present a petition to the UN’s special committee on decolonisation.

Israel expands West Bank offensive, deploys tanks for the first time in decades

Israeli tanks driving on Israeli border

Israel announced on Sunday that it is expanding its military offensive across the occupied West Bank and has deployed tanks in the northern West Bank city of Jenin for the first time in over 20 years. 

The country is preparing for its troops to remain in some refugee camps for the next year. Defence Minister, Israel Katz, stated that the army had “evacuated” three refugee camps in northern West Bank and had been ordered to remain there “to prevent the return of [Palestinian] residents”. 

Sinn Féin leaders to protest White House visit over US stance on Gaza

Sinn Fein leader Mary Lou Mcdonald speaking at podium

Sinn Féin leaders have announced that they will not be traveling to Washington DC for St Patrick’s Day events at the White House in protest over Donald Trump’s position on Gaza. 

Addressing a news conference, Sinn Féin party leader Mary Lou McDonald said she could not visit Washington “while there was a threat of mass expulsion hanging over the Palestinian people”. 

Thousands arrive in Burundi within days, fleeing escalating violence in eastern DRC

In a press briefing at the Palais des Nations in Geneva UNHCR spokesperson, Matthew Saltmarsh, reported that between 10,000 - 15,000 people have fled escalating violence in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and crossed into Burundi.

EU agrees new sanction package against Russia

EU

The new measures targeting Russia’s aluminium and oil exports come as Brussels fears Trump could ease US sanctions on Moscow as part of a peace deal struck with President Vladimir Putin without Europe’s involvement.

Following the conclusion of the first formal day of US-Russia peace talks in Saudi Arabia on Tuesday. US secretary Marco Rubio hinted that EU restrictions on Russia's economy, defence industry and oligarchs who help to maintain the war could be part of the negations. 

US will keep sanctions on Russia until settlement reached

Secretary of State Marco Rubio has stated that the US will keep sanctions on Russia in place at least until a deal to end the Ukraine conflict is reached.