Friday, 30 January 2015
Home Tamil Affairs International Affairs Editorial Opinion Feature Culture & Community Interviews
Latest Entries:
Compensation paid to families of Afghan massacre victims
Tamil Guardian 26 March 2012 Print ArticleE-mail ArticleFeedback On Article
   
The United States military has paid out compensation to the families of a deadly night-time attack on an Afghan village by a US soldier that left 16 civilians dead, including four women and nine children.

US staff sergeant Robert Bales was charged with 17 counts of murder on Friday, including for the murder of an unborn baby, after it was revealed that one of his victims was pregnant.

On Saturday, the US military paid out US$50,000 in compensation for each murdered victim and $11,000 for each to those wounded in the attack. Agha Lalai, a member of the Kandahar provincial council, commented,
“We are grateful to the United States government for its help with the grieved families. But this cannot be counted as compensation for the death.”
His comments were reportedly echoed by a tribal elder who told the BBC,
"We still want to be inside the court to see him tried and he should be punished for his crime."
Another elder, Haji Samad, who lost 11 members of his family, criticised the fact that court proceedings were not taking place in Afghanistan, stating
"He committed the crime in Afghanistan. Why he is going to be prosecuted in the US?"
The killings have stirred much controversy, with many of the Afghan villagers claiming more than one US soldier was involved in the incident and has caused a dent in US-Afghan relations.

Early last week Afghan President Hamid Karzai met with families of the 16 victims as they recounted the shooting spree and demanded justice.

One victim’s brother stated,
“I want no compensation, from no one. I don't want Hajj [pilgrimage to Mecca], I don't want money, I don't want a villa inAino Mina [a posh neighbourhood in Kandahar city], I just want the punishment of the Americans. I want it, I want it, I want it. And I have laid down my own head in god's will. And if that is not possible, god be with you, I am leaving right now.”
See transcripts of the meeting here.
 
Share on Facebook Print ArticlePrint Article E-mail ArticleE-mail Article Feedback On ArticleFeedback On Article
 
 
HIGHLIGHTS
  Tamil Affairs
Tamil Guardian 30 January 2015
‘Hold perpetrators to account for their actions’ in Sri Lanka says British PM

British Prime Minister David Cameron reiterated his call for Sri Lanka’s new government to address matters of international concern and hold perpetrators of abuses of international law to account for their actions. [more]

Tamil Guardian 30 January 2015
International war crimes investigation is the only first step says UK opposition leader

The leader of the UK Labour Party Ed Miliband repeated his call for an independent international investigation into mass atrocities, [more]

Tamil Guardian 29 January 2015
Tamils have no trust in local inquiry by Sri Lankan govt says TNA spokesperson
The spokesperson of the Tamil National Alliance (TNA) said the Tamil people have no trust in a local inquiry process by the Sri Lankan government into mass atrocities committed against the Tamils at the end of the armed conflict, [more]

Tamil Guardian 29 January 2015
Sri Lankan military must be removed from North, Wigneswaran tells UK minister
The removal of the Sri Lankan military from the Tamil areas is the most important issue at present, the chief minister of the Northern Province, C V Wigneswaran told the UK's Minister for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, [more]

Tamil Guardian 29 January 2015
New Sri Lankan govt says 'thinking of having our own local inquiry'
Sri Lanka's new government said it was thinking of launching its own local inquiry as an answer to allegations of mass atrocities committed against the Tamil people during the final stages of the armed conflict, [more]

Tamil Guardian 29 January 2015
Confusion remains over Sri Lanka's pledge to return land to Tamils says Wigneswaran
The chief minister of the Northern Province, C V Wigneswaran said confusion remained about whether the land belonging to Tamils in the North would be returned to its rightful owners, [more]

Tamil Guardian 29 January 2015
‘Many challenges’ remain, says Hugo Swire in Jaffna
Hugo Swire with members of the Jaffna Press Club [more]

Tamil Guardian 28 January 2015
'Only one way to shield Gotabhaya from war crimes prosecution' - Ryan Goodman

Sri Lanka’s former Defence Secretary Gotabhaya Rajapaksa would only be safe from war crimes prosecution by the United States under one condition, [more]


Print Editions

 
 

Contact Tamil Guardian
www.tamilguardian.com