Monday, 20 October 2014
Home Tamil Affairs International Affairs Editorial Opinion Feature Culture & Community Interviews
Latest Entries:
Experts to advise Ban Ki Moon on Sri Lanka's alleged war-crimes
TamilNet 10 March 2010 Print ArticleE-mail ArticleFeedback On Article
   

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon plans to ask a panel of experts to advise the world body on "accountability issues" relating to possible human rights abuses in Sri Lanka, Reuters reported quoting spokesperson Martin Nesirky as saying.

 

Ban has said an investigation of war crimes allegations should be handled by the High Commissioner for Human Rights in Geneva, Navi Pillay, who has called on Sri Lanka to investigate the allegations itself – albeit with outside help, Reuters added.

 

Calling the action "unwarranted" Sri Lanka said, "[n]o such action had been taken about other states with continuing armed conflicts on a large scale, involving major humanitarian catastrophes and causing the deaths of large numbers of civilians due to military action."

 

"I am convinced that Sri Lanka should undertake a full reckoning of the grave violations committed by all sides during the war, and that the international community can be helpful in this regard," Navi Pillay told the U.N.'s Human Rights Council in Geneva on Thursday.

 

Ban told Sri Lanka's President Mahinda Rajapakse that he intended to "go ahead with the establishment of a panel of experts," according to Nesirky.

 

Gordon Weiss, a former UN spokesperson for Sri Lanka who had detailed knowledge of the ground battles and who resigned from the UN after 14 years and returned home to Australia, in an interview to the ABC News said, Sri Lanka’s military massacred as many as 40,000 Tamil civilians in the final onslaught against the Liberation Tigers in 2009.

 

Several rights groups have accused Sri Lanka and the LTTE of war crimes during the conflict's final phase and they have demanded an independent probe of the allegations, as has U.N. special rapporteur for extrajudicial executions Philip Alston.

 

Recently, an independent tribunal in Dublin after two days of in-camera hearings from more than 20 eye-witnesses who escaped Sri Lanka's slaughter of Tamil civilians concluded that Sri Lanka committed war-crimes, but the tribunal stopped short of declaring that the crimes amounted to genocide.

 

The Sri Lankan government has denied charges of deliberately targeting civilians and other human rights breaches.

 

Professor Francis Boyle, an expert in International Law, earlier noted that the U.N. Secretary General has the power to order and publish not only investigations into the violations of member countries in the conduct of war, but also the "entire role played by the United Nations Organization and its Officials," during the wars.

 

"The previous U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan so ordered two separate investigations concerning the roles played by the United Nations during the genocides in Rwanda and Srebrenica, respectively," Boyle noted.

 

Observers have asserted, however, that ban on media and eviction of international NGOs from battle zones, while the slaughter was in progress, and for months after the conclusion of the battles, have provided enough space for the Sri Lanka Government to destroy material evidence from battle zones that can establish Sri Lanka's culpability in such crimes.

 

Spokesperson for the US-based pressure group, Tamils Against Genocide (TAG) said, "United Nations has a moral obligation to be more proactive in conducting investigations into war-crimes allegedly committed by member countries that are not signatories to the Rome statute. Non-signatory countries enjoy some level of protection, and options to obtain justice in International Criminal Court (ICC) for victims who suffered egragious rights violations by non-signatory member countries are limited, and available only if the Security Council initiates the investigation, or an "active" prosecutor exercises his proprio motu powers under Article 15 of Rome Statute. However, prosecutor Moreno Ocampo has, in a recent interview at the CNN, expressed reservations on using his own powers to investigate Sri Lanka.”

 

"Non-signatory status does not create a positive right to commit jus cogens norms violations," TAG spokesperson added.

 
Share on Facebook Print ArticlePrint Article E-mail ArticleE-mail Article Feedback On ArticleFeedback On Article
 
 
HIGHLIGHTS
  Tamil Affairs
Tamil Guardian 20 October 2014
Travel restriction to North designed to prevent Tamils giving evidence to UN inquiry says TNPF
The Sri Lankan government's re-introduction of travel restrictions to the North, preventing all foreign citizens from entering the region without prior written permission from the Ministry of Defence, [more]

Tamil Guardian 20 October 2014
MoD collects details of Tamils in North for 'lost property search'
Sri Lanka's Ministry of Defence has requested Tamils in the North to register their name, address, email address, telephone phone number and other personal information, [more]

Tamil Guardian 20 October 2014
Sri Lanka to challenge EU court annulment of anti-terror measures on LTTE
Sri Lanka is to challenge the annulment of anti-terror measures against the LTTE by the General Court of the European Union on Thursday, by dispatching its ambassador to Strasbourg on Monday. [more]

Tamil Guardian 19 October 2014
Government appointed officials in NPC do not serve people says TNA MP
Government appointed officials in the Northern Provincial Council do not serve the people said a Tamil National Alliance MP on Sunday. Speaking to the Sunday Times on the government the appointed NPC governor’s secretariat and chief secretary's failure to attend an event aimed at resolving problems related to land, [more]

Tamil Guardian 19 October 2014
EU will have to rethink 'flawed' proscription of LTTE says ECJ lawyer
The European Union decision to ban the LTTE in 2006 needs to be rethought after the recent European Court Justice (ECJ) ruling exposed “big mistakes” in the proscription outlined a lawyer representing LTTE at the ECJ. [more]

Tamil Guardian 19 October 2014
UK, Canada, Australia warn citizens of Sri Lanka's restrictions on travel to North
The UK, Canada and Australia warned their citizens of the Sri Lanka's new travel restrictions on visiting the North of the island, in updated travel advisories this week. [more]

Tamil Guardian 19 October 2014
UN official stopped from entering North by Defence Ministry travel restrictions
A United Nations official was stopped from entering the North on Wednesday, due to the Ministry of Defence's newly re-introduced travel restrictions, requiring all foreign citizens to seek prior permission from the Ministry to enter the Tamil region in the North of the island. Beth Crawford, [more]

Tamil Guardian 19 October 2014
Fears travel restrictions to North will affect tourism
Highlighting that at least 8.6% of tourists in Sri Lanka go to the north-east, Sri Lanka’s tourism board said it was caught unaware of the new travel restrictions placed on foreigners travelling to the North, reports the SundayTimes. [more]


Print Editions

 
 

Contact Tamil Guardian
www.tamilguardian.com